Hey guys, as you know, I love using makeup brushes with synthetic bristles because they’re animal friendly and super soft to the touch! I reviewed the Sigma Bunny Collection and the Real Techniques Core Collection and today I’ll be reviewing the new Ecotools 6 piece day to night set, the Ecotools deluxe fan brush, and the Ecotools large foam applicator.
Ecotools 6 Piece Day to Night Set
From the website: Create a transformational look that lasts from day to night with this essential makeup brush set. Store all of your brushes in this sleek & versatile clutch that goes from day travel to glamorous night.
This is actually my second Ecotools brush set and I like a lot better than my first one. One of the things I noticed right off the bat was the new look. I love the bronze ferrule over the old silver ones. I think it looks more sleek and appealing to me since it compliments the bamboo handle. For those of you who don’t know, Ecotool brushes are earth-friendly and are made of recycled materials. They are readily avaible in drugstores across Canada and the United States. You can even purchase them online here: http://www.farleyco.ca/ecoTOOLS/Products.html
Anyways, back to the review. The Day to Night set consists of a zippered clutch for brush storage and 5 makeup brushes.
– Round Powder Brush: Although this is intended for powder application, I just find it much too small. Instead, I use this as a blush brush because it’s the perfect size for applying blush. This brush is soft but it is not dense, therefore, you can apply bright blushes without over-packing the color on your face.
– Stay-There Shadow Brush: This is the same eyeshadow brush from my first set. It’s quite big so I use it to apply my all-over lid color. It’s soft, compact, and packs on shadow well.
– Pointed Concealer Brush: I love that this concealer brush is round and tapered because it makes applying concealer around your nose and eyes a breeze. It’s also quite dense so it packs on a significant amount of concealer.
– Smudge Brush: This small brush is round which makes it perfect for applying eyeshadow to your outer-V. You can also use it for blending if you don’t have a lot of lid space.
– Detailed Lip Liner Brush: This is a pretty standard lip brush. You can also use it to apply eyeshadow on the inner corner of your eyes and if you have little pimple scars, this also does a good job at spot concealing.
– Zipper Clutch: Really cute and useful. I like this a lot better than their old hemp storage wraps.
Left to right: Large Power Brush, Stay There Shadow Brush, Pointed Concealer Brush, Smudge Brush, and Detailed Lip Liner Brush.
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Would you recommend this: Yes!
I gave this set a 4.5/5 because I would have preferred a larger powder brush. Other than that, the brushes are great for the price and quality is high for a drugstore product. I highly recommend this brush set for beginners and those who are on a budget. You won’t be disappointed.
Ecotools Deluxe Fan Brush
From the website: “This multi-functional brush sets face makeup and adds definition by angling the brush to contour your cheekbone. The large, fanned head is also great for use with illuminating powders for an airbrushed finish.”
I would have to agree with the site, this brush is very multi-functional. I have used it for blush, highlighter, and bronzer. This is hands down my favorite fan brush because it’s the perfect size for my face (some are either too big or too small). As with all ecotool brushes, it’s extremely soft! But the thing I love most about it is how dense it is. This brush is flat but it has tapered bristles on the sides that allow you to pick up powdered makeup with one sweep. I forgot to mention that none of my ecotool brushes shed. Not even this dense brush! Check out the picture below.
Overall Rating: 5/5
Would you recommend this: Yes!
No complaints here! Everyone and their grandma should own this! I give it an A+ Buy it here at Farleyco.
Ecotools Foam Applicator
From the website: “The firm applicator tip applies liquid foundation easily around the contours of your face such as eyes and nose. Wash with soap and water after use and lay flat to dry. Replace as needed.”
I thought this would be similar to my beauty blender but let me tell you, it is not. This is basically a makeup sponge on a fancy handle. If you like to apply foundation/bb cream with a sponge then this is for you. Unlike the beauty blender, it doesn’t expand in water and it is not soft and plush. As stated on the website, the applicator is very firm. This is something I’m not used to so I can’t say I appreciate it. I used it to blend out concealer around my eyes but it was much too firm so I used it around my nose and it performed better there.
Overall Rating: 2/5
Would you recommend this: Yes for those who use makeup sponges to apply foundation and no for those who have used the beauty blender because you’re going to think that this product doesn’t even compare.
I gave it a 2/5 because I appreciate that ecotools was trying to be innovative with the sponge on a handle but at the same time, one can spend way less by buying a bag of makeup sponges. Perhaps if the sponge/foam was exceptional in quality, this would be worthwhile. It is still a good product for those who like makeup sponges and want to try something new.